Can is an abstract work that interrogates a limited range of sonic material.
Can takes two metal cans – a trash can and soda can – and crushes and shreds them sonically. It is a work of disrupted and transformed loops and rhythms shaped by strong spatial trajectories, and where classic compositional techniques of repetition and variation of material, within a strong formal design are at its core.
2010 Special Mention and medal of the Senato della Repubblica Italiana for the “electro-acoustic music” section – VIII International Contemporary Music Contest “Città di Udine”
Can was released in early 2011 on the Taukay label:
- Premiered at the NoiseFloor Festival in Stafford, UK. January 16, 2010.
- SAW – Sonic Arts in Wales 2010, at Royal Welsh Academy of Music and Drama, 26.3.10.
- NYCEMF 2010 at CUNY Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Avenue. New York, 26.3.10.
- ICMC (International Computer Music Conference) 2010 NYU/Stony Brook Universities, 5.6.10.
- Tage Neuer Musik in Weimar, Germany, 30.10.10
- Contemporanea 2010 Festival di Nuova Musica Città di Udine, Italy, 17.10.10.
- SEAMUS 2011, (Society of Electroacoustic Music USA), University of Miami, Jan. 2011.
- Played on the FOLDOVER playlist for Monday, March 21st, 2011 – WOBC 91.5 FM in Oberlin, Ohio.
- Performed on the night of Saturday 24th September 2011 at the INTIME Symposium.
- FROM TAPE TO TYPEDEF 2013 at Sheffield University on the 1st February 2013
- Music Since 1900 Conference, Liverpool Hope University,12-15th Sept. 2013, Listening Room
- Byte Gallery International Exhibitions, Fall 2013, Transylvania University, VA, USA https://www.transy.edu/music/BYTE_GALLERY/BYTE_GALLERY/Studio_300_Exhibition.html
- Sonic Interactions concert, Liverpool Hope University, 28th October, 2013.
- High Voltage electroacoustic music concert at Louisiana State University, 21st October, 2013.